Case Files Roleplaying
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Case Files Tenth Anniversary!

4 posters

Go down

Case Files Tenth Anniversary! Empty Case Files Tenth Anniversary!

Post by Regiwi Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:07 am

HAPPY TENTH ANNIVERSARY!

So, I believe it was around February the 15th the Lawbreakers RP started that eventually led to this place and here we are ten years later. I was thinking of making this a sort of casual RP thing, but the more I thought about it the less I saw it working, instead I figured I'd just do a discussion thread. So yeah, ten years have passed since this whole thing started, feels wild now. Feel free to discuss memories of the RPs and Case Files in general here. I know things have quietened down lately but the memories of the site and community will always be important to me.
Regiwi
Regiwi

Aliucon, DimitriBarronmore and Jessica Ilha like this post

Back to top Go down

Case Files Tenth Anniversary! Empty Re: Case Files Tenth Anniversary!

Post by DimitriBarronmore Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:17 pm

Man, ten years huh? And I suppose with me joining around the start of the GRP, I've been around for just over half of them? Man, how time flies. Weird to think I must have been only 16 when Xeno dragged me into this place headfirst, and now here we are. We had some good times here.

Honestly, I feel bad that I kind of slipped off and became inactive here. I've never been the best at taking initiative and confidently moving forward in an RP. I have this bad habit I've developed over the years of sitting back and allowing things to happen to me rather than making them happen, too nervous to start a plotline, or ask someone to plan with me, or invent chunks of world. Eventually I tend to burn out, timidly sitting in the background without volunteering new plots and scenes for my characters, or starting to neglect the ones that are already running. I'm not about to be so egotistical as to imagine that the GRP slowly stalling out is entirely on my shoulders, but I'm sure some of the lost momentum was on me for spending such long periods of time pretending I wasn't avoiding the task of writing a reply.

Still, I love this place. I look back on the scenes I helped write here as some of the fondest memories of roleplaying I have, and if I ever have any doubts about my worth as a contributor or my secret hidden desire to start it all back up again I just have to look at that pixelated lil' Frisk in the banner and it brings back all these warm fuzzy emotions. This place gave me a heartfelt appreciation for these fourm-based roleplays, with the long paragraphs of text being replied to in blocks, the fun reaction images to go with character dialogue, and a slightly looser sense of time where writing your reply in thirty seconds and three days can be equally valid, and sometimes you NEED that much time to write.

I don't have many good ideas for fourm games or roleplays I could volunteer to try and bring this place back to its former glory, but I'll keep my mind sharp. If any of you guys want to kick things off again just like old times, I'm right here and willing to give it a shot.
DimitriBarronmore
DimitriBarronmore

https://dimitri-barronmore.carrd.co/

Regiwi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Aliucon Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:18 am

I believe the memories from here will always be important to me as well.

Though I wasn't involved with the original Anythings VS Lawbreakers for long at all, its presence was the most welcome off of any RP I ever joined. I remember when I did, since it was very shortly before we had to make a move to Case Files from the backup forums. I remember being immediately struck by how big it was, and opening it at random pages. Sometimes the interactions on it just made me laugh, sometimes they were really weird (I believe I saw Hazama's sprite for the first time in the thread rather than in the game he's from), but it all fed into a wish to learn more about it. At the time, I had finished AAI as my most recent Ace Attorney game, and the characters on it were somewhat new. I saw an opportunity to play Shi-Long Lang, but I remember thinking of two main difficulties that brought. One was that Lang is a character I wouldn't be able to easily do, he's quite different from characters I usually went for; and the other was the sheer amount of content that I didn't know happened previously within the RP.

I solved the first by just building up the courage by degrees, which is I guess, normal. I solved the second by trying to read absolutely everything that had come before in the RP, which is decidedly abnormal. But it definitely worked to build up my investment in everything. It acquainted me with the process of plot becoming an increasingly more prominent power to the point its role became almost satirically massive. It showed me a lot of character development which I found impossible to retain everything from, but respected all the players so much for going all the way with it. It made me know the memes (Trucy Wright has a crush on Kristoph Gavin, pass it on). And it also gave me a surface appreciation for the roleplayers involved too. So when I joined, even though I was nervous, I think my first posts were the only barrier I ever had to feel like I belonged in this community. It definitely helped that everyone was really cool and pretty accepting.

This is definitely the community with which I've been involved and been active the longest, and it'll always hold a special place in my heart. Out of the many things in my life I couldn't feel passion towards (beyond individual people), this really stood out. The amount of things I learned to use in order to do better here is almost embarrassing. I didn't know any proper image editting when coming here, or image cropping, but I had to learn it in order to have better sprites or images available for certain RPs (especially Paradox and GRP eventually). I brewed a stronger habit of taking notes of events, something I always did but not to the degree I felt necessary with something as event-filled as the old RPs could be. I always had wikis and a dictionary on my tabs while writing, and in the case of Paradox, I did a lot of wiki diving into series I had no idea about just to make sure I wasn't getting things horribly wrong in a response. ... Even with all of that, I got a lot wrong in the process. But it was a lot of fun that I wouldn't change for anything in the world.

Most of the great memories I have of LBvsAA are mostly of what other people did and planned (especially once I picked Gant and knew a few schemes behind the scenes, it got really interesting). And seeing the discussions and reactions to posts in the Skype Chat was amazing fun too. But other than that... I think I look with eyes full of nostalgia at the first Paradox, especially my first character. I picked someone who was going to be non-commital, and I could drop without much issue. Toshi, or Ganryou as was her warname, was a minor character from a visual novel that I imagined no one really knew (though Kazuma, ever the surprising presence, proved me wrong). So I took her because she had a mild personality and I thought wouldn't be missed if I had to leave. In the process of the game, she got an incredible armor set that haunted her whenever she was using it, made amazing friends with Eggman of all people, interacted with dozens of characters on relatively good terms and lived to see the last climatic fight of Arc 1. It was to the point I felt satisfied with modifying her original story setting, where her kingdom is doomed to lose due to the incompetence of its leader, into one where her kingdom is one of the power players of its time, thanks to the strength and knowledge the Paradox gave her. It was an amazing experience, and I had other characters involved too (Remilia Scarlet and Reimu Hakurei were especially fun), but this will always stick in my mind as a moment where I "succeeded" in doing what I wanted with a character, to give development that would expand a bit beyond the scope of the RP. It, in fact, remained within the RP, of course, but the arcs did feel like their own stuff, which was really nice. To this day, I kind of wish I could go back to that character in some way.

And I can't not mention GRP. After the years of dedication to the other ones, I had hit a convenient pace to myself, if a bit slow. The General Roleplay came along and wasn't supposed to be burdened by an overarching plot for its participants, which is totally fine. But plot finds a way, which might as well be the overarching lesson for our community. I don't know what I was thinking when I joined with Viridi shortly before the legendary Battle of the Taxless, but I'm certainly glad I did. Much like Lang, Viridi is definitely not the character with a personality I'm used to playing, so it was a challenge, but through all the trials and tribulations that were thrown her way (to the point that, for a good while, Viridi's realm and temple were one of the main settings of the GRP), I got to make her go through an incredible range of emotions, sometimes for a joke (like the interactions with Gaston and Romnort), but sometimes for producing drama I loved to have (with Lapis Lazuli and The Doctor, as well as the entire battle with Frisk, which I thank Dimitri for, and everyone else involved, including my sister who so kindly provided art of it). It motivated me to play a lot and make a whole thread about people's current locations and stuff to try and avoid confusion. In retrospect, I probably ADDED to the confusion whenever I didn't update it, heheh. But it was still a strong showing of an RP, and one I'm glad to have had.

... Ironically, despite the lack of activity here, I still find myself RPing these days. Not just with a D&D group which I've been having on Mondays, but in some Discord groups dedicated to things like that. But even those that require literacy, which is most of them, don't demand as much effort and planning as I've seen here from others, or applied here. Perhaps this is why I keep them up, being less effort but still a way to keep me tied to something you all are partially guilty for making me absolutely love. But it's not like I'm mad about that. I wouldn't really exchange this for anything else.

Thanks to everyone that's been part of this community so far. There's really nothing like this out there- well, there might be, but not for me. 10 years is a long time to keep a connection to a place. And I feel like, even if in the future this connection wanes, the memories never will.

Like Dimitri, I'm still willing to span the dust and kick something up, whatever it may be. I may not have all the energy I used to have now, but- I've known myself to be kicked into high gear by RPs before without expecting to! So that's something!
Aliucon
Aliucon

Regiwi, DimitriBarronmore and Jessica Ilha like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jessica Ilha Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:26 am

Nobody really asked, but I want to do some reminiscing myself... and write things down, before I forget them once and for all.

(With spoiler tags because HUGE WALL OF TEXT! You've been warned ♥)
The Beginning & LBvsAA:
The wonderful people I met:
The Finale aka so many different things to find a proper title:

Okay, okay, I'm stoping now. Promise.

Just one more thing.

I LOVE YOU GUYS ♥♥♥
Jessica Ilha
Jessica Ilha

Aliucon and DimitriBarronmore like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down